Our Mission, Our Region.
Momentum West is a regional economic development organization serving Barron, Clark, Chippewa, Dunn, Eau Claire, Pierce, Pepin, Polk, Rusk, and St. Croix counties. Momentum West's staff, volunteers and Board of Directors provides their time, expertise and assistance in establishing annual goals and activities including:
- Marketing and Branding West Wisconsin for Business and Talent attraction, development and Retention
- Serve as Economic Development support conduit in West Wisconsin
- Advocate for the Accomplishments of Regional Initiatives
West Central Wisconsin is an area of tremendous diversity on multiple fronts. An abundance of recreational activities for individuals, families and groups make it impossible not to find something to fill your time. Whether your interest lies in the growing arts and entertainment scene in our urban areas to a drive along the Great River Road with stops at wonderful dining establishments or a sip of wine or a malt beverage overlooking the beautiful terrain at one of the many vineyards or craft breweries (and let’s not forget Leinenkugel’s), you’re sure to have a wonderful time.
The region hosts an impressive offering of hiking, biking, cross country skiing and ATV trails. The rivers, quiet streams perfect for a canoe or kayak, and lakes ideal for fishing and boating fill the region.
If you relish the music scene summers are filled with music festivals regardless of the genre. From one of the largest country music festivals in the nation to weekly festivals along the waterfronts, the area has quickly become a hub of music professionals.
The region is a true mix of rural and urban geography. Larger cities such as Eau Claire and access to the Twin Cities with their retail offerings and cultural amenities complement the mid-sized communities of River Falls, Hudson, Chippewa Falls, Rice Lake, Menomonie and others. Smaller communities, each with their own flavor such as Stockholm and Pepin along the Mississippi River have their own flavor and cultural offerings. From weekend farm to table markets to seasonal events, everywhere you go an opportunity surfaces to stop and walk the community, no matter what time of the year.
This is just a taste of West Central Wisconsin. Entrench yourself in what we have to offer. You may never leave, but if you do we know you’ll be back!
Momentum West uses partnerships and leverages resources to implement shared strategies for growing the regional economy of west central Wisconsin.
Capitalize on West central Wisconsin’s economic growth and prosperity through collaborative partnerships, regional marketing strategies and its position as a leader in talent development, innovative industry and key economic development assets to further our position as a prominent region for business growth.
Business and talent attraction, development and retention are the top priorities for Momentum West. Thanks to our board, committee members, partners and other parties involved with our efforts, we continue to tackle an aggressive list of goals that fall underneath five areas: Business Attraction, Talent Attraction Development and Retention, Events and Forums, Entrepreneurship and Broadband Expansion and Marketing.
- Focus Business Attraction efforts on food and beverage manufacturing, precision manufacturing, plastics and warehousing and distribution.
- Continued focus on marketing to developers, site selectors, asset managers and brokers.
- Participation in state, regional, and national tradeshows with an upper Midwest focus such as the Mid-America EDC.
- Host familiarity tours showing of the regional assets.
- Purse options to foster cluster development and/or supply chain database base that focuses in one or more key regional sectors.
- Continuation of the Gold Shovel Ready program to identify and market available shovel ready sites to developers, site selectors and brokers.
Talent Attraction Development and Retention
- Communicate the regions unique quality of place assets to students graduating from area universities before they leave the region.
- Outreach to area alumni about the benefits of living in the Momentum West region.
- Market local job opportunities to out-commuters.
- Address industry talent needs for targeted industries.
- Work with partners to promote the UWIN and Techstart programs to help companies utilize internships and apprenticeships with area higher education institutions.
Goals and Strategies
- Host relevant and timely events focusing on housing, broadband, the annual awards event and other Momentum West events that promote and support the region.
- Promote region by providing a common message on the region to targeted audiences both internally focused (within the 10 counties) and externally.
- Work with the regional broadband coalition to advocate, educate and drive the advancement of broadband within the region.
- Promote and grow the StartIn West Central Wisconsin entrepreneur resource database.