Goals and Strategies
Talent attraction, development and retention remains a top priority for 2018, with establishing a more regional effort with our partners as the first objection, but after a successful 2017 we’ve got our plate full in 2018. As we are a small operation with limited capacity, thanks to our board, committee members, partners and other parties involved with our efforts, we are again tackling an aggressive list of target goals for 2018. They fall underneath four areas: Business Attraction, Talent, Events and Forums and Marketing. Here’s what we’ll be up to in 2018!
- Focus Business Attraction efforts on the following key Sectors with emphasis on supply chain opportunities:
- Food and Beverage manufacturing
- Precision Manufacturing
- Logistics and Distribution
- Continued focus on marketing to Developers, Site Selectors, Asset Managers; with an emphasis on the
- Twin Cities metro market visits
- Attendance at MNCAR event in October
- Expanded regional/Chicago markets
- Participation in state, regional, and national tradeshows with an upper Midwest focus (e.g. MAEDC and Plastics tradeshow in Twin Cities). Focusing on relevant clusters while, working with county EDC's to reduce redundancy on attendance. Emphasis will be on meeting with key decision makers at the tradeshows and/or in the community hosting the tradeshow versus staffing booths.
- Host familiarity tours showing of the regional assets. Familiarity and assets tour will be hosted with an emphasis on developed industrial land and available property. Workforce will be an emphasis. Will draw upon a regional assets database to promote what the region has to offer.
- Work with CV Tech Alliance to conduct a supply chain initiative
- Continue to purse options to foster cluster development and/or supply chain database base that focuses in one or more key regional sectors.
- Continuation of the Gold Shovel Ready program to identify and market available shovel ready sites to developers, site selectors and brokers. Will market existing sites and include owners of properties.
- Develop a targeted marketing campaign to communicate the regions unique quality of place assets to students graduating from area universities before they leave the region.
- Develop coordinated communications and outreach to area alumni about the benefits of living in the Momentum West region.
- Market local job opportunities to out-commuters working in the Twin Cities.
- Address industry talent needs for targeted industries.
- Provide career planning support and skills information to key audiences in collaboration with employers, educational institutions and workforce organizations.
- Raise awareness among job seekers about local openings and among employers about job search practices.
- Advocate with the universities and tech colleges along with industry to help companies create internship programs.
Note: These initiatives will be launched in collaboration with or by regional partners
- Continue to host every other month gathering of the regions EDC's to help tie the efforts of the county/city EDC's together. Momentum will leverage this to make sure we identify common challenges that can be address on a regional level and look for potential efficiencies. Will create opportunities for county EDCs to host.
- Convener of regional focused workgroups, events, and gatherings as needed. Offering of regular forums in partnership with the area EDC’s, WEDC etc.
- Orchestrate fall Housing and Finance events in two parts of the region each. Housing in Barron and Rusk as well as Polk, St. Croix and Pierce Counties. Finance in Chippewa and Clark as well as Dunn, Eau Claire and Pepin Counties. Potential partnership w/builders association for housing events. Sponsors will be solicited with booth opportunities. Revenue split w/county EDC’s.
- NWITA (Northern Wisconsin International Trade Association
- Offer regular forums/webinars under the NWITA name w/WEDC and other partners
- Work with the Ignite Wisconsin Board, per contract, to Support regional entrepreneurship in partnership with county EDC's and other regional stakeholders
- Host annual event and other Momentum West events that promote and our support the region and the organization
- Improve communication partnerships for more balanced outreach throughout the region.
- Make list development a priority with focus on municipal and county officials and key employees.
- Investor marketing and outreach
- Update newsletter design and move to web based circulation with the goal of reaching more readers and driving more traffic to the MW web site. Consider mailing printed copies of newsletter.
- Promote region by providing a common message on the region to targeted audiences both internally focused (within the 10 counties) and externally.
- Development of Media relationship calendar
- Advocate for economic development related issues throughout the region with a regional impact (e.g. Chippewa Valley Rally, St. Croix Rally, and stand-alone issues).
- Create quarterly dash board / reporting showing key data points such as: unemployment rates, workforce participation rates, skills/job openings, and other data used to promote the benefits of the region to third parties.
- Enhance website with additional data to better market the region by illustrating the assets/resources of the region.
- Identify and contract with third party data providers for information that supports business attraction projects
- Look at regional asset inventory/database
- Look at supply chain database tied to sectors